As we start the eagerly awaited new year, this is a good time to sit down and plan your fitness goals for 2021. Whether you believe in keeping a New Year’s resolution or not, the start of a new year is always an opportune time to instill a new habit or two that will lead to a healthier, more fulfilling day-to-day life. Check out our 10 fitness tips below to help you reach your fitness goals and stay healthy throughout the year.
- Start somewhere. The first step is acknowledging that you want to get back into a routine. A key component of being healthy is having a fitness routine that works for you and sets you up for success.
- Set goals. The more specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and timely you can be when writing down your goals, the more likely you will be to succeed.
- Move every day—no matter what. Unless you’re ill or injured, make it a priority to move daily. A 15-minute workout (or even a walk around the block) is better than no workout at all.
- Get enough sleep. It is crucial to get enough sleep to recharge the body’s batteries. Seven to nine hours of sleep will ensure you have the energy to keep going throughout the day.
- Try something new. Try a different fitness class, create a new playlist, invite a friend to join you, or start a new exercise routine. Throughout the week, include variety and mix different types of workouts.
- Make it fun. Incorporate activities you truly enjoy and look forward to doing, and can even make you forget you’re working out—like dancing, hula-hooping, or playing sports with family and friends.
- Get outside. With COVID-19 restrictions in place for most of the past year, it’s likely that you have been stuck inside for far too long. On a nice day, take a walk around the neighborhood or visit a local park.
- Give one percent more. There is almost always a little piece of energy that you have not utilized in your workout. This year, give that extra one percent!
- Celebrate the small victories. Change doesn’t happen overnight. Recognizing even the smallest changes—like making it to a workout class one day this week or scheduling 30 minutes in your day for a walk—will keep your momentum going to reach your goals.
- Stay motivated. An important key to getting in shape is to keep a positive mindset. Seeing the benefits of regular exercise or writing your goals down on paper may help you stay motivated. Always remember why you started!
Make 2021 a year of good health and happiness. If you’re ready to take the next steps in achieving your fitness goals, Dakotah! Sport and Fitness is here to help!